Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm 'N Luv (Wit a Stripper) - 3 years late


(trust me, this song is better if you don't have to look at T-Pain while you're listening to it)

I love everything about this song. I love that guitar, and I love that it was made in GarageBand. I love how T-Pain sounds with minimal auto-tune. I love that he refers to sex as "the night thang" even when he doesn't have to for the rhyme. I love that Mike Jones always sounds like he's shouting, and I even love his dubious assertion that strippers love him, despite the fact that he never pays. I mean, the causality there is supposed to be that he never pays because strippers love him, but I'm skeptical.

I do this thing sometimes where I listen to a song so much it starts to represent all music to me, and therefore it is necessarily the best song ever written. This might have been what happened here. I'm pretty sure it's at least a very good song though.

The only thing I can think of that I don't like about this song is that for a while afterwards, every song on the radio that was about a woman was about a stripper. Now they're all about women who keep up with their credit card payments, not that anything's really changed.

2 comments:

  1. dude, you know that one that's like "can you believe my fantasy girl is a go-go dancer?" first of all, yes, i can believe it, because apparently rappers love to write about being in love with strippers and go-go dancers. almost as if they've given up hope that women will hang out with them without being paid. secondly, there is a line in the song about drinking shirley temples, and every time i listen to it, i'm like "this song is about having crushes on girls and drinking non-alcoholic beverages. ADORABLE!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, it's weird, right? because in a lot of the songs, the fantasy is having so much money that a stripper cries and wants to marry you (see: wyclef's 'perfect gentleman'). but in a few of them (like mike jones in this song), and in the popular imagination at large, the fantasy is that a stripper will like you so much that you won't even HAVE to pay her, she will be so overcome by your wittiness/prestige/hairdo.

    ReplyDelete